Saturday, September 18, 2010

#4 Bridge Gator

While we were traveling SR 24 into Cedar Key to drop off my son at an appointment, we spotted this alligator in the distance off the #4 Bridge, which overlooks the salty to brackish water of the Gulf of Mexico. We couldn't stop at the moment in order to get my son to his appointment on time, and so my husband dropped him off, and we drove back to find the gator. I didn't want it to sink before I started "shooting," so my husband did a turnabout past the bridge, and stopped the truck before the bridge in order for me to get out and begin shooting as I walked the bridge to get closer to my subject.

The Gator at a Distance
The Gator at a Distance

At first, I wasn't sure I was shooting the gator or some debris. But, as I got closer, the gator's snout and eyes were evident.

It stayed quite still at first, and watched me as I shot and walked closer and closer. But, as I got in front of it, it turned itself to face me, and then raised it's body as if to warn me.

The Gator Turns to Face Me
The Gator Turns to Face Me

The Gator Rises to Warn Me
The Gator Rises to Warn Me

It slowly relaxed, and watched me for awhile, until it felt safe enough to get a closer look at me. It swam closer to me ... at first straight at me, and then off to my right, in order to stay a safe distance, but also to keep an eye on me the whole time.

The Gator Swims For a Closer Look
 The Gator Swims For a Closer Look

The Gator In For a Closer Look
The Gator In For a Closer Look


I waited where I was, but then slowly came closer when it relaxed further.



The Gator Watches
The Gator Watches

The Gator Allows a Closer, Final Look
The Gator Allows a Closer, Final Look

The gator allowed me to shoot away and stayed surfaced until I turned to leave ... when I turned around for a last look from the truck, it was gone


Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment